- no barium procedures for 72 hours prior
-patients should be 7 to 10 days post medical oncology treatment if possible
-no biopsies for 1 week prior
-no major surgeries for at least 6 weeks prior
Required clinical data to schedule:
- recent radiology reports and films or CD copies (MRI, CT, nuclear medicine, X-rays)
-radiology films from outside facilities
-the date and location of any radiation therapy or chemotherapy treatments
-written physician order for the PET/CT
The day before your PET/CT scan:
-no strenuous exercise for 24 hours prior to the exam
-no eating instructions are required for the night before your scan
The day of your PET/CT scan:
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 6 hours before your exam
- You may drink water up to your exam but please do not drink flavored water because it has sugar added
- You may take your normal medications but only with water. Medications that are taken with food need to be held off until your PET/CT scan is completed.
- No caffeine products for 6 hours prior to the test
- No gum chewing, hard candy, or breath mints the day of the test. You may brush your teeth.
- Some patients with a history of cholorectal, cervical, uterine, or other cancer in the pelvis region may required a urinary catheter. The catheter will remove urine from the bladder so it does not hid or obscure any areas of concern in the pelvic region.
- Please leave jewelry at home and wear little to no metal if possible. You may wear a wedding band or glasses. Wear comfortable clothing because the duration of your stay will be 1-1/2 to 3 hours long.
Specific instructions for patients with diabetes:
- If you are diabetic, your blood sugar must be below 200 mg/dl in order to perform the scan
- You may take oral diabetic medications, such as glucophage, no less than 4 hours prior of your scan time.
- You may take 1/2 of your insulin dose 4 hours prior to your scan time.
- If you have an insulin pump, please shut if off 4 hours prior to your PET/CT scan.
- Diabetic patients may eat a light breakfast 4 hours prior to their PET/CT scan. You may eat a light high protein breakfast with water to drink. DO NOT eat or drink any fruit juices, coffee, fruit or bread.
Please call the day before if you are unable to come to your appointment.